RSS
Welcome to my blog! Here is my forum to discuss all things pop culture...and by all things, I obviously mean movies and TV shows.

September Shows: The New Batch


Ok, it is that time of year. That's right...the new fall TV lineup! I have done the research so you don't have to. Please note that they are in order of premiere date...not preference. Without further ado, here are the new shows for this month:

Ringer (The CW)
Premiere Date (PD): Tuesday, 9/13
 Plot Summary: A young woman on the run from the mob poses as her wealthy twin sister to try and evade them, but soon discovers that her sister has a price on her head as well.

Thoughts: I have a policy against watching anything on the CW. This in no way sways me from said policy.





Free Agents (NBC)
PD: Wednesday, 9/14
Alex is recently divorced, and Helen lost her fiance a year ago. Obviously, these two are definitely not ready to be dating again. So naturally, they end up in bed together one night. Oops. And they're co-workers. Double oops.


Thoughts: If anyone can pull this stupid plot off, it is Kathryn Hahn and Hank Azaria. I am not convinced anyone can pull this stupid plot off.

Up All Night (NBC)
PD: Wednesday, 9/14 
Takes an irreverent look at parenthood through the point of view of an acerbic working mother, along with her stay-at-home husband and opinionated parents.


Thoughts: I will watch pretty much anything that Will Arnett deigns to do. I don't hate that Christina Applegate either. 




The Secret Circle (The CW)
PD: Thursday, 9/15
Cassie Blake's world is turned upside down after her mother dies in a mysterious accident, forcing Cassie to move in with her loving grandmother Jane in the small town of Chance Harbor, Washington.When strange and dangerous things begin to happen, Cassie's new friends are forced to tell her their secret - they are all witches and her arrival will complete the Circle.


Thoughts: What could I possibly say that this synopsis hasn't basically said for me?

The Playboy Club (NBC)
PD: Monday, 9/19
Centers on the Bunnies and patrons of the original Playboy Club in 1960's Chicago.


Thoughts: I can't begin to imagine what I could possibly find interesting about girls whose sole ambition is to work as a slutty bunny in a club or the men who patronize it.




2 Broke Girls (CBS)
PD: Monday, 9/19
Set in New York City, it chronicles the lives of two waitresses in their twenties - Max, who comes from a poor, working-class family and Caroline, who was born rich but is now down on her luck.

Thoughts: ...reserving judgment.


New Girl (Fox)
PD: Tuesday, 9/20
Jess Day is a young woman who, after discovering her long-term boyfriend is cheating on her, moves into a loft apartment with three male roommates - prickly bartender Nick, womanizer Schmidt and intense personal trainer Coach. The guys try to help Jess get back on her feet and into the dating world.


Thoughts: I am cautiously excited about this one - it has a rad cast.


Unforgettable (CBS)
PD: Tuesday, 9/20
The series follows a former NYC detective, Carrie Wells, who suffers from hyperthymesia, a rare medical condition that gives her the ability to remember everything. She is reluctantly asked by her ex-boyfriend and one-time partner to join his homicide unit after he asks for help with solving a case. The move allows her to do the one thing she has been trying to remember, how her sister was murdered.

Thoughts: Sounds intriguing...hopefully the execution is as well done as the creation.

Revenge (ABC)
PD: Wednesday, 9/21
Centers on a young woman who is welcomed into a community filled with people who don't know she's only there to exact revenge on those who had destroyed her family.


Thoughts: No thank you.





Charlie's Angels (ABC)
PD: Thursday, 9/22
A cat burglar, a street racer, and a dirty cop get a chance to turn their lives around; fighting crime and working for the mysterious Charlie Townsend.


Thoughts: This makes me think about when they tried to update Knight Rider. Ugghh, some things were just meant to stay in the past.


Person of Interest (CBS)
PD: Thursday, 9/22
Centers on ex-CIA hitman and a scientist who team up to prevent crimes before they happen.


Thoughts:You had me at Jim Caviezel. I heart him so bad. 






Prime Suspect (NBC)
PD: Thursday, 9/22
About Jane Timoney, an iconoclastic female detective who has to make her bones in a tough New York precinct that is dominated by men.

Thoughts: This reminds me a lot of the series Chase from last year (only lasted one season). I liked Chase. I tend to like the tough female detective characters. I think this has potential.

Whitney (NBC)
PD: Thursday, 9/22
The series follows the titular character, an opinionated woman and her very-supportive live-in boyfriend. Even though the two have decided that they will not commit to marriage, she does question how committed they are in their 5-year relationship and begins to fear what she sees as "relationship boredom" and worries what will happen next that could possibly end her relationship. She decides to use unconventional methods to keep the romantic flames glowing with the help of her close friends.


Thoughts: I have seen a couple of previews (as if this poster didn't already tell me it wasn't going to be funny) and basically they go for the obvious humor, and even then sometimes they miss. Much like I will be doing to their show.

A Gifted Man (CBS)
PD: Friday, 9/23
Centers on an ultra-competitive surgeon whose life is changed forever when his ex-wife dies and begins teaching him what life is all about from the here-after.

Thoughts: Patrick Wilson was such a tool on The A-Team...I have no doubt he will nail it here. Playing someone reformed...hmmm, we'll see.



Pan Am (ABC)
PD: Sunday, 9/25
 Period drama about the pilots and flight attendants who once made Pan Am the most glamorous way to fly.

Thoughts: I am rooting for it because it is somewhat original and I like to see how different decades are represented. Do I think it will be good? Not really.







Hart of Dixie (The CW)
PD: Monday, 9/26
The series follows Dr. Zoe Hart as she moves to remote Bluebell, Alabama, when there are no jobs available for her in New York.

Thoughts: Please refer to Ringer above.


Terra Nova (Fox)
PD: Monday, 9/26
Centers on the Shannons, an ordinary family from 2149 when the planet is dying who are transported back 85 million years to prehistoric Earth where they join Terra Nova, a colony of humans with a second chance to build a civilization.

Thoughts:................oh, I'm sorry, I must have dozed off for a minute there when they were talking about incredibly boring sci-fi stuff. 




Suburgatory (ABC)
PD: Wednesday, 9/28
The series follows a divorced father who decides to get away from New York City to the suburbs so he can give his 16-year-old daughter a better life. However, the move to 'burbs has the daughter wondering if they just entered the world of The Stepford Wives after they see how 'perfect' their new locale is, right down to the neighbors who welcome them into the cul-de-sac.

Thoughts: What you don't see is that the dad is played by Jeremy Sisto, most recently of Law & Order, but more importantly, he played Elton on Clueless. He is the selling point to me on this one.

How to Be a Gentleman (CBS)
PD: Thursday, 9/29
The series chronicles the friendship between an uptight columnist and his more freewheeling trainer.

Thoughts: Nothing about this screams intelligent or ironic humor (which is really the only kind that exists in my mind). 







8 comments:

Jessica said...

Wow. This was really disappointing. The only one that looks good to me is Person of Interest. Well done, though. Your comments made me laugh more than any of those comedies probably would. I like you.

Aivaz Family said...

Just in case you didn't notice, the girl in Secret Circle is the slutty daughter from Dan in Real Life. You know, the "you are a murderer of love" broad. Good times. Also, I laughed out loud at your Terra Nova comment.

Zachariah Parry said...

I like boring sci-fi stuff. 'Cause if you can get past Starman and Close Encounters, sci-fi isn't boring. It may be poorly written, or campy, or stupid, but it is rarely boring.

I'm with you on most the other stuff though. Except maybe Prime Suspect. That looks dumb to me. Just like Chase was dumb to me.

Becky said...

So I guess i will be reading a lot this next year….oh yeah I already read a lot. Nothing looked good to me.

Derpina Derp said...

Yeah, I have to agree with most of the comments here that the new shows are less than exciting. Not that I'll be watching many of them. (Alas, poverty has forced me to cancel my Dish subscription and return my DVR. It hurts. A lot. I'm still not finished with the grieving process. I'm having trouble getting past the 'denial' stage. Anyway...)

I am, however, VERY excited about this blog. Did you ever watch those Falling Skies recordings?

Zachariah Parry said...

You forgot Grimm. I haven't seen previews, but the premise sounds interesting. Plus it's got Prison Break creeps Reggie Lee and Silas Weir Mitchell.

Eliza said...

Erin, I didn't ever get to Falling Skies...I got too far behind on my summer shows.

Zach, I didn't forget Grimm - it premieres in October and this is exclusively September. The list was a little unmanageable so I broke it into the 2 months. There are also several mid-season shows that I will eventually throw on here.

Nishat said...

I unfortunately did watch an episode of Free Agents. Boo. That's all. Why have I heard that Revenge is good from multiple people? I was with you on boycotting it completely.

Post a Comment

 
Copyright 2009 Culture Pop. All rights reserved.
Free WordPress Themes Presented by EZwpthemes.
Bloggerized by Miss Dothy